Welcome to Episode 1 of the Brick & Data podcast!
In this episode:
- Get ready for some sales, it’s back to school
- Walmart is buying growth
- Target is getting cozy with Harry’s
- Ralph Lauren did something controversial at the Rio olympics
Back to School – survey by AT Kearney
- 80% of these shoppers plan to spend at least as much or more than they did last year during the same period a year ago.
- 57% of survey respondents say they are doing back-to-school buying in physical stores
- 91% of respondents to the A.T. Kearney survey said competitive pricing is their main concern while doing back-to-school shopping
Walmart Aquiring Jet.com for $3.3 billion
- Another huge brick and mortar trying to beat out Amazon
- Free shipping on $35+ orders
- Jet has been adding 350k customers per month
- Walmart is also buying Jet’s pricing technology – drops price in real-time as you shop
- Walmart may have existing issues that the Jet.com acquisition can’t solve
- A survey (to measure customer loyalty preferences) from Prosper Insights shows customer preference for Amazon to have risen 14.5% since 2011, and fallen 2.5% for Walmart.com
- To make matters worse, the same survey showed that 70% of Jet.com customers even prefer Amazon over Walmart.com.\
Harry’s shaving products at Target
- In the stores, Harry’s will have shelf space right next to Gillette
- For those that don’t like the subscription model, they have the option to buy off store shelves.
- Harry’s biggest competitor in the shaving subscription space, Dollar Shave Club, was acquired by Unilever in July for $1 billion
- This deal seems to do more for Harry’s than Target. What do they get?
Ralph Lauren shaking up the Olympics
- The classic apparel retailer chosen to design Team USA’s uniforms for the opening ceremonies in Rio
- Goal was to bring back “nostalgia”, but the red, white, and blue striped shirt under the blue blazers ended up looking like the Russian flag. Ooops.
- Australian team also fell flat with their uniform reportedly looking like the common Australian medical card.